Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Salvaged Craft Project Fail

A couple of week's ago, I had an idea for a Christmas ornament craft.  I was going to decoupage a vintage song sheet to a Styrofoam ball.  What some of you may have already seen at my website, Rustic Crafts, is the second attempt at the project:

The second attempt had worked perfectly because I had learned a few things from the first go around.  When you decoupage to a circle, it is best to use small pieces! 

With my first attempt, I had started out trying to cut perfect pieces to fit together on the ball.  First I cut two circles for the top and bottom and then some narrow rectangular strips for the sides.  My plan was to have the strips going all the way around with the tops and bottoms meeting at the two circles.

The only picture that I had taken of the ornament most finished was this one where it was drying.  You can't really see how the seams match up.  For trying to make a pattern, it definitely wasn't uniform and I wasn't happy with the wrinkles.  At this point, I was ready to throw it away but I hate to do that so I just tossed it aside until I could figure something out.

A fix did eventually come to me.  It would be a great camouflage!  I am a big fan of burlap and I just happened to have some burlap garland staring me in the face.  It was very loosely woven so I figured I could decoupage that over the song sheet and still get some of the sheet music to show through.

Well, I went a little crazy with the burlap and applied it quite heavy.  However, I do think that I can now use it on our rustic Christmas tree this year.  We decorate two trees every year.  Our main floor tree is a bit more elegant and our downstairs family room holds a very rustic tree.

This is what I ended up with:

I think it will probably blend nicely with the rest of my rustic ornaments.  If not, it will become a cat toy for my little buddy, Kirby!

1 comment:

Ira Mency said...

What a great idea Renee! I love the sheet music!! So many possibilities here. Happy new Year!