Monday, May 2, 2011

Dumpster Diving To New Table Treasure!

You just never know where you might get your next piece of furniture.  My husband seems to have a gift for finding things along side of the road just waiting to be thrown out.  I must say I get a little embarrassed when he wants to stop and take a closer look at someone else's trash.  This time when he did it I wasn't with him to stop his peeking and it ended up being very beneficial.

To back up just a little bit....our table treasure started with a large tree stump.  My husband was at work when a truck pulled into the parking lot filled with chopped wood.  This immediately intrigued my husband so he went to check it out.  He fell in love with a tree stump right away and found out he could have it for free if he could get it off the truck.  This was not a problem since he had a crew of workers and a fork lift!

The idea was to make this into a coffee table for the cabin basement.  All we needed was to purchase a round glass table top.  This is where the dumpster diving comes in.  While traveling home from work one day, he sees a glass table top along side the road waiting for trash pick up.  He called me excitedly to ask what size I thought we needed for the glass top.  I figured he was up to his trash digging tricks.  And sure enough...he came home with the table top that fit perfectly.

Here is the finished table:

We only had to pay for the casters we added to the bottom for easy rolling.  A perfect table for a rustic cabin and the price was right!

3 comments:

Sweaty said...

I love your table! My husband loves wood... he collects them. Our house is filled with his wood pieces: our dining table, coffee table, some decor pieces here and there... all from wood pieces.


Found you from the Hop a Little Tuesday. Hope you have some time to visit my blog!

Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous. There's a saying, I think it goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure." It's certainly the case here. My husband is a hoarder but I throw everything out!!

Found you on Hop a Little Tuesday.
CJ xx

Are You A Mom said...

Such a great table! I am now following you from the hop...please stop by www.Areyouamom.com and say hi
Thanks,
Maureen